Schools Library Services
What are Schools Library Services (SLS)?
Schools Library Services are one of the many services offered to schools – all phases and all sectors – by local authorities. The way each service operates varies considerably from Borough to Borough. There are seventeen schools library services in London. If your own borough does not run a schools library service, schools can investigate services offered in neighbouring boroughs. The links on the left give more information. If you don’t find what you are looking please contact a local Schools Library Service.
Essentially, a Schools Library Service will:
- Advise schools and provide training on managing and developing their own school libraries and teaching resources in schools, on teaching information literacy skills to enable children to become independent learners and to help schools create a reading culture.
- Organise a range of cultural events – poetry slams, author visits, reading festivals, book awards, reading clubs – to help schools develop policies to promote reading for enjoyment throughout the school
- Lend or make available for purchase carefully chosen good quality resources to support teaching and learning in the classroom and to support wider reading for pleasure and enjoyment.
Who runs the Service and how is it paid for?
- The service is run by experienced qualified librarians who have knowledge of the curriculum and of children’s literature. On the whole, schools subscribe annually to some or all of the services provided by a Schools Library Service on behalf of all their teachers. Some services can be purchased on a pay-as-you-go basis.
What teachers have said:
- “I would like to thank the Schools Library Service tremendously for doing such a fabulous job. This service has enriched my classroom beyond belief. I am extremely grateful for the effort and care taken when responding to my requests. Thank you many times over.”
- “I use the library for every topic, it is an invaluable source. I try to visit the library in person when I have release time from school but being able to order resources online is absolutely wonderful and staff are also so very helpful on the phone too.”